Saturday, February 13, 2021

Front yards of Long Beach

 


I have been walking around a residential neighborhood close to 10th st, in Long Beach, southern CA, and I am happily surprised to see the front yards, which are "waterwise" and much more creative than those we have in Orange County. 
I have taken some courses on line offered by the G3 group, through the Metropolitan Water District in Southern CA, related to turf removal (and replacement with drought tolerant species) and garden designs also related to Sanitation in L.A., which is part of so many residential and commercial architectural projects, and not necessary of landscape.
I want to share some important links for those who are interested on the rebate program, the replacement of turf and waterwise gardens:







I can clearly see that these gardens are not designed by professionals but they are showing a lot of love and care. Which is so important. 
This is my favorite one, full of native cactus and succulents.


The one below, I like it a lot as well. It needs more water, but wilderness is my favorite style.



There is also a lot of plantation in the right of way. This is something that the City of Santa Ana promotes as well, drought tolerants next to the sidewalk, instead of grass. See how the ground cover extends below the railing.

This garden is more eclectic and the roses are protagonists. See some decorative stones have been added and paths are around to walk and maintain the garden.


This one has a path of stepping stones on the mulch. I think it must have been under the rebate program.

I took this picture as an example of an interesting divider, a sort of planter, with concrete cylinders of different heights. See the tones and shadows of the red leaves during the golden hour. 

This bicolor wood fence with the bush in the corner is unusual in southern CA, I find it very interesting as well.

This is a real surprise for me. I would have never expected raised beds in the right of way. I am wondering if traditional neighbors in Orange County would accept this. But people of Long Beach have a culture of producing the veggies themselves. My compliments to whoever made them.

The bushes are overgrown here and the house can't be clearly seen. The right of way has plants as well. I think with some trimming it would look great.

The design guidelines of the City of Santa Ana make us aware of succulents and cactus with thorns in the right of way. They look beautiful, but of course they have to be trimmed regularly.

This palm tree is truly splendid and I believe nobody complains to walk under the "tunnel" created by the leaves.

The following pictures belong to my 2024 archives. We can see the beauty of cactus and succulent gardens, including native California poppies.
Another combination I've seen is poppies with wild grasses and lavender.  And even Sunflowers in the right of way. Some front yards have lots of flowers in Springtime.













No comments:

Post a Comment

Just monochrome wild grasses as landscape design

  Seattle Waterfront is being renovated and this year, apart from completing public buildings, new landscape and hardscape design has been a...